Science has come a long way in the last century or so. This is especially true when it comes to medical sciences and their application in modifying and improving the human body and its looks. The same is true in the field of dentistry and we have come a long way from old practices such as metallic fake teeth or the use of wires hoping to hold teeth in their place. These have now evolved into braces and retainers which are much more effective and much less uncomfortable for the wearer. Still, most people don’t know the differences between Dental Retainers VS Dental Braces in Dubai, Abu Dhabi & Sharjah. To put it simply, retainers are used as aftercare post-removal of braces.
Aim of the Procedure:
Advances in technology have made braces much more effective and efficient than they used to be. Braces today provide an accurate result and work for most crooked or uneven teeth while Retainers help the sore gums to heal and the teeth to sit in their place during the recovery time.
Braces are designed according to the position of each tooth and slowly correct their position. Since retainers reinforce the results achieved from braces, using them in combination means that you are more poised to get the result that you wanted.
- Although common in children, anyone of any age can get braces after consultation with their dentist in order to correct crooked teeth…
- Not everyone who wears retainers has to have worn braces. In some cases, retainers are recommended by dentists to correct slight misalignment of the tooth instead of braces.
- Retainers may be prescribed after other dental procedures such as scaling.
- A thorough examination will reveal if you are suitable for braces or retainers or both. If you only have a couple of teeth out of place, a retainer may be recommended instead of braces but may take a lot longer to fix them as compared to braces. This is why most dentists recommend the combination of braces and retainers.
- You should avoid using blood thinning medications prior to the procedure.
- Always tell your doctor beforehand if you are taking medication for any purpose.
Your braces will be designed for each individual tooth. Braces use metallic wires and brackets which are fixed on each earth separately to push them in their place.
After thoroughly cleaning your mouth with an antiseptic mouthwash, brackets are fixed on each tooth and connected by wire. You may feel the wire start to pull your teeth after a couple of days which might cause slight discomfort but this is perfectly normal. The procedure can last up to an hour depending on each case.
After removal, your retainers will be designed in accordance with the then position of each tooth. Some retainers can fit behind your teeth but these can be more uncomfortable…
Things to keep in mind after the use of braces include but are not limited to;
- Regular intake of Anti-inflammatory medication and painkillers which are prescribed afterward to help with the discomfort
- Oral hygiene; always brush/floss your teeth and use mouthwash daily.
- Make it a habit to address any inflammation of the gums and tooth pain.
- Make regular visits to the dentist to stay updated on your progress during the braces period.
- Avoid grinding teeth and prefer soft food.
- Regularly wear retainers, if prescribed, to get consistent and lasting results.
The benefits of using braces and retainers are under;
- No more crooked teeth
- No more pain from misaligned teeth.
- A perfect smile every time
- Less risky compared to surgical procedures
- Minimum downtime and recovery period
- Minimises and removes the gap between teeth
- Reduces the chances of gum diseases and bleeding from gums.
Book a Consultation
If you are keen on having a smile that can melt hearts and know more about Dental Retainers VS Dental Braces in Dubai, Abu Dhabi & Sharjah, Enfield Royal Orthodontists Clinic is now offering all of this and much more all under one roof. Book a consultation today and find out what is best for your smile.