A cosmetic dentist and an orthodontist both offer services related to enhancing the appearance and health of a person’s teeth and bite, but the approaches they take and the specific procedures they offer can differ significantly. Understanding Cosmetic Dentists vs Orthodontists in Dubai, Abu Dhabi & Sharjah can help you determine which type of dental professional best meets your needs and goals.
What does a Cosmetic Dentist do?
A cosmetic dentist focuses on enhancing the appearance of a patient’s teeth, gums, and smile. They offer procedures such as teeth whitening, veneers, crowns, bridges, orthodontics, and dental implants to improve the overall appearance of a patient’s smile.
What are their Goals?
The goal of cosmetic dentistry is to improve the appearance of a person’s smile by addressing issues such as stained, chipped, misshapen or missing teeth. Cosmetic dentists use various techniques and procedures to enhance the beauty of a patient’s smile, improve self-esteem, and increase oral health. The ultimate objective is to create a natural-looking and attractive smile that enhances the patient’s overall facial appearance and boosts their confidence.
What are Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures?
Examples of cosmetic dentistry procedures include:
- Teeth whitening: lightens the color of natural teeth.
- Veneers: thin shells of tooth-colored material placed over the front of existing teeth to improve their appearance.
- Crowns: full coverage caps placed over a damaged or decayed tooth to restore its shape, size, and appearance.
- Bridges: dental appliances used to replace missing teeth.
- Orthodontics: correction of bite and tooth alignment using braces or clear aligners.
- Dental implants: replacement tooth roots that provide a strong foundation for fixed or removable replacement teeth.
- Gum reshaping: correction of an uneven gum line to enhance the appearance of a patient’s smile.
These are some of the most common cosmetic dentistry procedures, but other options are also available depending on the individual’s specific needs and goals.
What does an Orthodontist do?
An orthodontist is a dental specialist who focuses on diagnosing, preventing, and treating dental and facial irregularities. They use braces, retainers, and other appliances to align teeth and jaws to improve the bite and overall appearance of a patient’s smile.
What are their Goals?
The goal of an orthodontist is to diagnose, prevent and treat dental and facial irregularities, such as crooked or misaligned teeth, bite problems (overbite, underbite, etc.), and jaw problems. By using braces, clear aligners, or other orthodontic appliances, an orthodontist aims to create a straight, healthy, and functional bite, which in turn improves the overall appearance of a patient’s smile. The ultimate goal of orthodontic treatment is to help the patient achieve a comfortable and attractive bite, which can positively impact their oral health, self-esteem, and quality of life.
What are Orthodontic Procedures?
Examples of orthodontic procedures include:
- Braces: traditional metal or clear braces attached to the teeth to move them into proper alignment.
- Clear aligners: removable, custom-made plastic trays that gradually move teeth into proper alignment.
- Lingual braces: braces placed behind the teeth instead of in front, making them virtually invisible.
- Palatal expanders: devices used to widen the upper jaw to correct a narrow bite.
- Retainers: removable or fixed appliances used to maintain the corrected bite after orthodontic treatment.
These are some of the most common orthodontic procedures, but other options may also be available depending on the individual’s specific needs and goals. An orthodontist will work with the patient to determine the best course of treatment.
Cosmetic Dentists vs Orthodontists in Dubai, Abu Dhabi & Sharjah are both dental specialists who aim to improve the appearance and health of a patient’s smile. Cosmetic dentists focus on enhancing the overall appearance of a person’s teeth and gums through procedures such as teeth whitening, veneers, and dental implants, while orthodontists focus on diagnosing, preventing, and treating dental and facial irregularities through the use of braces, clear aligners, and other orthodontic appliances. Both specialties at Enfield Royal Dental Clinic work together to provide comprehensive dental care and help patients achieve a beautiful, healthy smile. Ultimately, the choice between a cosmetic dentist and an orthodontist will depend on the individual’s specific needs and goals.