Gallstones are more commonly formed in women as obesity is more common in females. These stones are not harmful but their long-term presence can cause digestive problems. These stones are formed when the excess amount of cholesterol and other bile pigments precipitate out and result in the failure of the gall bladder to empty completely. The gall bladder is removed surgically and its absence does not affect the normal functioning of the body. There are different surgical methods for their removal so if you experience gallstones visit our clinic and know Which Surgery is Best for Gallstones in Dubai, Abu Dhabi & Sharjah.
What is a Gallbladder?
The gall bladder is a small pear-shaped structure that is located beneath the liver on the right upper side of the abdomen. This structure does not have its own secretion but rather stores the secretion produced by the liver. Small hard deposits known as gallstones can form in your gall bladder.
What are Gallstones and How are they Formed?
Gallstones are formed by the accumulation of cholesterol, bile salts, and calcium salts, usually when they are in a mixture. Excess amount of cholesterol crystallizes out and appear as gallstones. It is the most common disease of the digestive system and normally does not cause any problems. But sometimes these stones block the ducts and increase the risk of infection so they need to be removed instantly. The gall bladder is not a vital organ and plays no role in our body so if it gets removed you can cope quite well without it.
What are the Symptoms of Gallstones?
In most cases, there are no symptoms of gallstones. But a person may feel some symptoms such as
- Pain in the back and abdomen. This pain is not consistent but severe.
- Increase in severity of pain after eating a fatty acid meal.
- Signs of jaundice
- A person may get a fever due to an infection in their gall bladder and ducts.
What are the Causes of Gallstones?
Gallstones are formed more commonly in women. They are mostly included obese people that are overweight. Family history can also be the cause of gallstones. There are multiple causes of gallstones. When the liver starts producing too much cholesterol, this cholesterol may precipitate in the form of crystals and result in gallstones. The gallbladder fails to empty properly due to the formation of stones as they block the release of bile.
How Gallstones Can be Removed?
The majority of people who have gallstones are suggested to go for surgery. It depends upon the condition of the gallbladder whether surgeons remove your gallbladder(cholecystectomy) or he just picks up the stone placed above the bladder. Techniques that are used to remove gallbladder are
The surgeon makes a number of incisions through the skin using instruments. Then the gall bladder is removed through one of the incisions.
It is named open surgery and the surgeon gets access to the gall bladder by wide abdominal incision. The doctor will recommend you go for open surgery if you many surgeries previously done and have bleeding problems.
Which Surgery is more Suitable for the Removal of Gallstones?
These gall stones can be removed by both the above two methods. Open gall bladder surgery is also the same as laparoscopic surgery except that surgeons can preach the gall bladder through a single incision. This procedure can raise many difficulties as the doctor can not visualize the gall bladder properly. Laparoscopic surgery is the most recommended and safe procedure for the removal of gallstones.
- Firstly your surgeon will make many small incisions into the abdomen so that inserted instruments can reach the abdominal cavity easily.
- A tube that is fastened with a camera and a blowing stream of CO2 is inserted which separates the abdominal region from all other organs.
- This camera is then attached to a computer screen so that the surgeon can view the gall bladder easily.
- Lastly, the gall bladder is cut using other lasers and pulled out of the body through one of the incisions.
- All the incisions are stitched and closed. Finally, they are hidden with proper dressings to keep that area away from toxins.
There are specific instructions given by your doctor that should be followed for the longevity of the procedure
- Take bed rest as much as you can after the surgery.
- Avoid doing strenuous and vigorous exercises.
- Do not lift heavy weights after the surgery is done.
- Use medicines as prescribed by the doctor.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your body hydrated.
- Avoid eating food that causes constipation such as dairy products.
Why Choose Us?
Certain unique factors such as qualified doctors, cooperative staff, and cost-effective procedures make our Enfiled Royal Cosmetic Surgery Clinic unparalleled. So come to our clinic and know Which Surgery is Best for Gallstones in Dubai, Abu Dhabi & Sharjah and see the effective results.
Dr Abdul Majeed Makkiya
1999 -2021 - Highly qualified cosmetic surgeon with 20+ years of experience. Passionate about helping others.View Profile
Dr. Dina Elyamani
Dr. Dina Elyamani is one of the leading Aesthetic General Physician in Dubai with a vast range of experience in the field...View Profile
Dr. Sannia Awais
A dedicated esthetician who is committed to the highest standards of excellence - always striving to achieve the very...View Profile