If a baby tooth falls out before its time for the permanent ones to erupt, a dental cavity is formed. This area is affected by various physiological forces and there is a great risk of this area being closed, so it is necessary to install Dental Space Maintainer in Dubai, Abu Dhabi & Sharjah to prevent this closure. This would require the installation of a device that specifically deals with space loss control. The protection of the oral cavity and the integrity of the dentition and occlusal planes are the main objectives of these devices.
This is a dental appliance used to save space for a permanent tooth when a child loses a baby or milk tooth prematurely. Milk teeth act as guides for permanent teeth. If they are lost soon, permanent teeth may become misaligned and eventually come out of the gums in the wrong place or at the wrong angle.
Sometimes, when a primary tooth is soon lost, two adjacent teeth can move together and prevent an adult tooth from erupting. It keeps the place of the prematurely lost tooth intact so that the position of the permanent tooth does not change.
Children do not always need protection for a tooth that is lost early. For example, if you’ve lost one of your four front teeth, you don’t need protection. They are usually needed in the following situations:
- If one of the other teeth is lost due to illness, an accident that causes the tooth to fall out, or excessive caries
- If any of these things happen at a time when the permanent tooth is about to erupt, a dentist may decide that it is not needed
- It should not exert undue forces and must allow proper oral hygiene
- Should not interfere with the functional movement of teeth
Factors Governing the Selection of Appliance:
The following factors must be considered while selecting the appliance:
Patient Cooperation: Depending on the kind of appliance greater or lesser cooperation is required by the patient which must be discussed before getting the treatment.
Appliance Integrity: All types of appliances are prone to breakage but in general removable ones are more susceptible to breakage than fixed appliances.
Maintenance: The length of time and projected maintenance must be considered.
Modifiability: Anticipation of future modifications is also essential.
Cost: The manufacturing cost, dentist’s service charges and a number of visits to the clinic all add to the overall cost.
The maintainers are manufactured in plastic and steel. The other two classifications involve:
- Removable: They require more care from the child, but they can be made to match the real teeth so that the young one’s smile is still natural and pretty.
- Fixed: These usually have stainless steel wire and are held in place by bands wrapped around adjacent teeth. In children with multiple missing teeth, removable partial dentures may be required instead of normal maintainers.
The procedure for installation of a Dental Space Maintainer in Dubai can follow the following steps:
- Band Construction: The first step is the selection of band material and its construction. The dentist checks the band for two contrasting sides: dull and shiny. The dull side goes close to the tooth and the shiny side faces outwards.
- Loop Fabrication: A loop is made with two dull sides against each other, and these are spot welded to hold them in place.
- Soldering: The band is fitted properly, and the seam is soldered.
- Polishing Cementation: In the final step, the band is polished and cemented to the teeth.
- It is important to visit your dentist regularly so that he knows when to remove the device and can observe the growth of inflamed gum tissue in the appliance and the risk of infection.
- Semi-permanent ones need to be closely monitored so that they can be removed as soon as the permanent tooth is ready for eruption.
- Children with these protectors need to be especially careful to brush their teeth well and keep them healthy.
- In extreme cases, inflamed gum tissue that has grown over the gum shield may need to be surgically removed.
How long do Children have to Wear Them?
In cases where the child does not have permanent teeth that are supposed to grow in the space, the maintainer is left in that space until the child reaches adulthood.
When the baby reaches late puberty, it can be removed. They are often replaced with adult dental appliances such as bridges or implants.
The cost of a Dental Space Maintainer in Dubai, Abu Dhabi & Sharjah can range from AED 1499 to AED 1999. The cost of each treatment varies depending on several factors.
Book a Free Appointment!
If your child has lost a tooth prematurely a maintainer may be needed. Get in touch with experts of Enfield Royal Clinic. Fill out the consultation form below to book a free appointment.