Although keeping the tooth in its natural state in the mouth is the primary purpose in dentistry, tooth removal may be inevitable. Teeth that cannot be saved with filling, root canal treatment, or crown applications may need to be extracted. Even though it is seen as an intimidating procedure in society, performing the procedures according to the rules and following the patient’s recommendations can ensure a trouble-free process. Dental Extraction in Dubai, Abu Dhabi & Sharjah is the process of removing teeth that cannot be treated otherwise.
Essence of Treatment:
It is the surgical extraction of a tooth from its socket in the bone, performed by a dentist or oral surgeon as an outpatient procedure performed relatively quickly with local, general, intravenous anesthesia or a combination.
On the other hand, a simple extraction is a name given to the technique used to extract the teeth that appear in the mouth while the patient is under the influence of local anesthesia.
The treatment will result in relief from pain by targeting the root cause of the problem. It will stop the infections or cavities from spreading to the neighboring teeth. The outcome will be a beautiful and aesthetically pleasing smile without pain or discomfort.
Why is the Extraction Performed?
It is always better to preserve teeth than to remove them; however, in some cases, it may be necessary to extract the teeth in adults. Some of the reasons are mentioned below:
- Teeth are too damaged to be repaired or saved due to trauma or decay
- In case of overcrowding, when all teeth do not fit in the jaw perfectly, some may be extracted
- For impacted teeth that have not been protruded above the gum
- Tooth decay and damage has spread to the dental pulp
- Loosened teeth due to periodontal disease
Although the extraction itself is generally a very safe medical practice, it can lead to harmful bacteria in the circulatory system due to the procedure. At the same time, the gum tissue is at risk of infection.
If there is a high risk of developing a severe infection for another medical reason, antibiotics will be necessary before and after the treatment.
For this reason, an entire medical history should be shared with the dentist. In addition to regularly used drugs and supplements, conditions such as damaged or artificial heart valve, congenital heart defects, impaired immune system, liver disease, artificial joints such as hip replacement, and bacterial endocarditis should be reported to the dentist.
The Dental Extraction in Dubai will be performed by an oral surgeon trained in performing surgery. The treatment will take the following stages:
- Before the tooth is extracted, the dentist will give the patient an injection of a local anesthetic to numb the area. In some cases, the dentist may use a more potent general anesthetic, especially for impacted wisdom teeth extraction. This general anesthetic will prevent pain and put the individual to sleep throughout the procedure.
- The dentist will cut the gum and bone tissue covering the tooth. He will then grasp the tooth using forceps and gently move it back and forth to loosen it from the jawbone and ligaments that typically hold the tooth in place. In some cases, a difficult-to-remove tooth may be removed in multiple pieces.
- Bleeding after the treatment is natural and necessary. Usually, a blood clot forms in the cavity left behind from the tooth. The dentist places a gauze pad in the tooth cavity and tells the patient to bite into it to help stop the bleeding.
- In some cases, the dentist may place a few self-dissolving stitches to close the gingival margins in the extraction area properly.
After a tooth is extracted, the dentist sends the individual home to heal. The healing process usually takes a few days. There are a few steps that can be taken to minimize any discomfort that may be felt during this process, reduce the risk of infection, and speed up recovery:
- Pain relievers should be used as prescribed. It is necessary to bite the gauze firmly but gently over the gauze placed by the dentist to reduce bleeding and ensure that a clot forms in the tooth socket.
- Applying an ice pack to the affected area immediately after the treatment is helpful to prevent swelling.
- It is necessary to rest for at least 24 hours after the treatment and limit activities to be performed for the next day or two.
- After extraction, soft foods should be consumed, as the extracted area heals, solid foods should be gradually introduced. Smoking should be avoided during the healing process to accelerate recovery.
- In addition to brushing the teeth and tongue, flossing should be continued by staying away from the extracted area.
The initial recovery period after tooth extraction usually takes one to two weeks. In this process, new bone and gingival tissue grow in the opened cavity.
However, missing a tooth can cause the remaining teeth to change over time, affecting biting and making chewing difficult. For this reason, the dentist may recommend supporting the missing tooth or teeth with an implant, fixed bridge, or denture.
The treatment has no severe side effects; however, some common issues are discussed below:
- Pain after tooth extraction can be felt when the anesthesia wears off; this is normal.
- Some swelling and light bleeding can be expected 24 hours after a tooth is extracted.
However, if bleeding or severe pain persists for more than four hours after tooth extraction, the dentist should be sought and reported again.
In addition, it is necessary to consult a dentist if symptoms of infection, including fever and chills, nausea or vomiting, redness, swelling or excessive discharge from the affected area, cough, shortness of breath, or chest pain, are complained about.
The cost of Dental Extraction in Dubai, Abu Dhabi & Sharjah can range from AED 300 to AED 1800. Several methods will impact the price, including the number of teeth extracted, dental surgeon’s experience, clinic location, and level. The doctor will determine the actual cost of the treatment after the initial consultation.
Book a free appointment!
Fill out the consultation form below to book a free appointment.